Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dream Career


My dream ending career is with Best Friends Animal Society.  They are located in Kanab, Utah and have been there for over 25 years.  Their mission is to end homeless pets.  Best Friends currently has about 1,600 animals at their site, which makes them the largest no kill shelter in the nation.  They provide a sanctuary to cats, dogs, birds, pigs, horses, sheep, goats, and rabbits; they also do wild life rehabilitation.

I would love to be a pilot for this amazing group.  They have pipers and beechcrafts.  Most of the flying done for the group is transportation to disaster sites or hording situations for teams to help the animals in horrible situations.  They do transport some animals, including a baby horse over 4 hours.  To work for a company that loves animals as much as I do would just be awesome.  I expect that it does not pay what the airlines does, but when it comes to animals, it's not about the money.  The reward of helping animals is a good enough paycheck for me.



Best Friends is a non-profit organization and all of their funds are provided by donations.  I am not sure what kind of aviation sector that puts them in.  It's defiantly general aviation, but I'm not sure if that is a special kind of general aviation.  The pilots do all of the flight planning and filling.  It sounds like it is just like cross countries that I do for time building, just with better co-pilots and flying for a mission.

I have been to Utah and volunteered with Best Friends and just love the atmosphere.  After graduating, I will be contacting them about a pilot career with them.

1 comment:

  1. This does seem like the perfect job for you. It is great to be driven by something other than money...I think people who have motivations other than the paycheck have a much better shot at achieving their dreams. Best of luck and please continue to stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete